Sunday, February 10, 2013

Week 6: 2 Chronicles 7:14

"if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
2 Chronicles 7:14
 
This is kind of the verse that started this whole promise moving thing.  I talked in our first post, Introducing The Promises, about how this whole thing was spurred on by a quote I received in a text message during National Community Church's experiLENT.  For the 40 days of Lent, we were to meditate on humbling ourselves before God at 7:14 every day, with this verse as the focus.  So while it wasn't this exact verse that ruffled me out of my comfort zone, in a round about way it was the catalyst.
 
I don't have a whole lot to write about here.  It's pretty much an extension of what I posted last week about 1 Peter 5:6-7.  Humble yourself before God.  Realize that He is God and you are not.  Obey Him.  Listen to Him.  Let Him have everything.  Humbling yourself means that you give up even the things that you are best at. 
 
For a great example of humility I like to look at John the Baptist.  He knew His role.  More importantly, He knew the role of the One who came after him.  He knew that Jesus Christ was the Messiah.  He knew that He was not.  It is no coincidence that all four Gospels record John's statement that he was not even worthy to remove Christ's sandals...the job of a servant!  One of my favorite passages is found in John 3 when John's followers question him about the fact that Jesus is now baptizing more people than John.  John's answer?  "He must increase, but I must decrease.  He who comes from above is above all, he who is of the earth is from the earth and speaks of the earth.  He who comes from heaven is above all" (John 3:30-31).
 
He wasn't upset that the Lord wasn't using him as much as He used to.  He wasn't angry that his name wasn't being nominated for saint-hood or placed on a certificate of achievement.  He knew his role and he knew the role of Jesus Christ as Lord of his life.  That's humility.
 
So hit your knees with us this week and pray to the Lord.  Spend time this week completely losing yourself in adoration of the God of the Universe.  Give Him everything you have to give Him...even the things "you don't need help with". 
 
I told my wife last night that I have one goal Monday morning, one prayer that I am asking of God - that He would terrify me with His presence.  Job 13:11 says, "Will not His majesty terrify you, and the dread of Him fall on you?"  It is impossible to be anything but humble when you are faced with that kind of encounter with the Lord.  Tenth Avenue North has an outstanding song titled "Hallelujah", in which the opening lines states, "At first I am afraid, but not because of fear.  But the Holy of Holies is drawing me near."
 
That's what I want.  And I believe that humility will get me there.  Won't you join me?  According to 2 Chronicles 7:14, if we do God will hear us, forgive us and heal us.  What more could you ask for from a Promise Maker Who never fails?
 
MOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment